Sr. Manager - Network Services
Richmond, VA 23238
Extremely competitive w/ 15% yearly bonus and 15% equity
Monday - Friday (8am to 5pm)
The Senior Manager of Network Services will lead a team of advanced and entry level network engineers and technicians that are responsible for the resiliency and operational aspects of the company’s enterprise network. They will manage all aspects of complex design, configuration, implementation and troubleshooting wired and wireless communication infrastructure, supporting data, voice and video in converged and non-converged configurations. Will also lead, task plan and delegate, and mentor team members.
The Network Services Manager must maintain a detailed working knowledge of network technologies and possess knowledge of a wide range of applications and systems. The person should be driven by customer satisfaction and have a firm grasp of troubleshooting, monitoring tools, and escalation processes.
Interaction with other teams within the company for a variety of company initiatives will be required. Additionally, this role will be responsible for day to day personnel management which includes scheduling, managing staffing requirements, hiring, development, coaching and evaluating team members.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
SPECIALTIES (Specific skill/knowledge needed):
- Responsible for short-term project planning to meet long-term goals. Works with Sr. IT leadership and other managers to meet goals and provide business solutions. Establishes the scope of projects, allocates the proper resources, and monitors the progress. Provides status updates to senior management.
- Responsible for delegating short-term projects and monitoring the performance of associates. Assists with removing roadblocks and utilizing technical knowledge to assist associates with meeting goals.
- Works with Sr. management to understand business plans and team objectives. Researches best practices and executes short-term plans for solutions to meet objectives.
- Responsible for assessing talent, identifying gaps in talent, and identifying high performers. Provides development guidance, creates IDPs to close gaps in talent, and provides opportunities for stretch roles to develop future leaders. Sets performance standards and holds team members accountable to standards.
- Forecasts needed resources such as vendors, technologies, consultants, staffing needs, and training for the team to accomplish business objectives.
- Responsible for managing the selection, and contract negotiation for vendors of any software packages or services that are utilized.
- Has financial responsibility for the team. Responsible for the team’s budget and evaluating ROI.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Provides direction to network resources in areas including but not limited to: routing protocols, routers, switches, firewall administration, MPLS, Private Line, VPN, DNS/DHCP, load balancing and SSL. Hands-on experience in these disciplines is required.
- Produce network solutions in alignment with business needs.
- Reviews and approves network change activities initiated by Network Services to ensure proper coordination, implementation and validation procedures are in-place. Ensures conformance to Technology Change Management / IT Service Management policies.
- Research, evaluate and recommend new network, system management products and services, and new software and hardware.
- Provide necessary budget content and manages the procurement of products or services.
- Recommend and plans use of new system features and hardware to improve overall operation of system and productivity of staff.
- Ensure all staff is provided with training and resources needed to perform their jobs to the most outstanding degree possible. Ensure all staff is provided with frequent feedback and coaching in order to meet and exceed individual and team performance goals consistently.
- Manage and encourages new ideas from staff to foster improvements through innovations.
- Empower the staff to be accountable and responsible for their own actions and decisions.
- Work closely with SMEs from business partner teams to maintain a high performing and robust network infrastructure.
- Lead Network resources to execute projects in the areas of wired and wireless WAN and LAN.
- Assist in providing scope and cost for projects.
- Ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability through proactive infrastructure life cycle management and monitoring.
- Monitor and test system and tenant application performance for issues, identify possible solutions, and work with developers and administrators to implement those fixes.
- Manage devices including routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, and other network equipment and services.
- Provide direct support in daily network and systems operations including the evaluation of system utilization, monitoring response time and primary support for detection and correction of operational problems.
- 4-year IT degree or equivalent work experience, preferred
- 3+ years of experience leading projects in both agile and waterfall methodologies, required
- 3+ years of team management experience
- Distributed Enterprise Network experience, preferred
- DevOps experience, preferred