Senior Construction Contracts Specialist
Richmond, VA 23219
1 year contract w/ possible extension
Monday - Friday (8am to 5pm)
Our client is looking for a Senior Construction Contracts Specialist for a position located in Richmond, VA. They are one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 31,000 megawatts of electric generation; 106,400 miles of natural gas gathering, storage, transmission and distribution pipeline; and 93,600 miles of electric transmission and distribution lines. They operate one of the largest natural gas storage systems in the U.S. with more than a trillion cubic feet of capacity and serve nearly 7.5 million utility and retail energy customers. The company is built on a proud legacy of public service, innovation and community involvement. In addition to their core businesses, our client and their 21,000 employees invest in the communities where we live and work and by practicing responsible environmental stewardship wherever we operate.
The Senior Construction Contracts Specialist will be responsible for ensuring the effective development and management of engineering and construction related procurement contracts in a cost-effective and timely manner. The individual contributor will manage and monitor engineering, design, equipment and construction contracts for various projects including natural gas pipelines, compressor stations, M&R stations built and operated by the company and its partners. The successful candidate may also be assigned various ancillary services that support the implementation of major projects including environmental, engineering, land, security and permitting services.
Additional functions will include:
- Working with supply chain management to develop appropriate supply chain strategies for procurement and materials management for construction organization. May serve as cross functional team leader. Reviews solicitation documents and supports evaluation of proposals consistent with established bid process. Part of negotiation team that negotiates Engineering (E), Materials Procurement (P) and/or Construction (C) agreements with large engineering, equipment manufacturing and construction suppliers.
- Administering Agreements, including resolution of billing issues, negotiation and interpretation of contract language, etc. to ensure compliance with terms and conditions of executed contracts.
- Supporting training of employees at construction sites on contract particulars, and contract management. Keeps in close day to day contact with personnel at construction sites to be aware of contract performances and deviations. Reviews amendments and change orders to accommodate unanticipated situations and ensure compliance with relevant contracts.
- Coordinating resolution of contractual and technical disagreements between the company and contractors. Assists in audit strategies when billing and contract disputes arise. Monitors contract performance and identifies deviations.
- Developing and recommending strategies for ascertaining performance criteria with contracts. Monitors progress and schedule milestones in contract to ensure provisions are met that lead to payment. Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
- Supporting activities related to identification, solicitation, evaluation and award of bids to suppliers. Supports identification and implementation of cost improvements for purchased materials and services. Communicates with field and project personnel to evaluate compliance with contracts.
- Compiling reports for management that monitors contract status, reports analysis, and overall contract performance. Assists in maintaining contract databases and compiling information for project planning and forecasting. Will define and communicate procedures and protocols for contract administration.
Qualified candidates will possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Considerable related work experience (5+ years minimal) dealing with contractors, integrated suppliers and alliance partners.
- Ideal candidates will possess knowledge of purchasing laws and practices; working knowledge of business and contract law; and sound understanding of procurement principles and negotiation techniques and strategies.
- Candidates with SAP and utilities construction experience are highly preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain Management or Construction Engineering Office Environment and/or Construction project site Work schedule may depend on work needed during project