The Senior Security Engineer will play an integral part of the network security program in the ongoing design, testing, and implementation and maintenance of security systems and analysis of network indicators that assure the security and integrity of the network. This role provides the technical support in the development, engineering, design, implementation, and effective application of information security tools, policies, and procedures for the overall program.
Major Duties (including but not limited to any combination of the following):
- Perform technical duties in support of the House Information Systems Security program.
- Participate in the selection, evaluation, implementation, and management of production security systems such as firewalls, enterprise antivirus, intrusion detection, remote access, engineering of servers, feeds, application protection, and encryption, this will include system development lifecycle tasks, such as testing, patching and upgrades.
- Provide technical support to respond to security requests from Members, Committees, and Support Offices.
- Provide technical support for responding to and implementing Office of Inspector General recommendations.
- Provide technical support to respond to security engineering needs and systems support of firewall, network protection systems, malware detection, and other security systems.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of security policies, and procedures.
- Provide 24/7 coverage of security functions.
- Travel to external sites if needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of security functions.
- Work location is Manassas, VA. If highly skilled in most of the technologies listed below, it’s possible to be DC based.
Work is mostly M-F, normal business hours but off hours and emergency coverage will be scheduled as needed. Will not exceed 40 hours per week.
Technology Skills Needed: NetWitness, FireEye, Splunk, AWS Direct Connect, Checkpoint/Barracuda Firewalls, Lancope StealthWatch, Security Onion, Gigamon, VMware experience a plus, Perl scripting a plus
Skillset Priorities (in order of importance):
1. Linux (Windows experience to a lesser degree is needed.)
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, preferred.
- Due to the nature of this program, US Citizenship is required.
- Must pass background checks to obtain a US House of Representatives vendor badge.
- Minimum 5 years of Cyber Security experience.
- Demonstrated a strong ability to communicate security concepts effectively, both orally and in writing, with senior staff, system owners, and technical and non-technical users.
- Solid understanding of current technology trends, security best practices, and cybersecurity threats.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues and work with engineers/vendors to resolve issues with security tools.
- Self-starter with a willingness to learn about a variety of security concepts.
- Strong customer service orientation with the ability to build effective relationships and work collaboratively within all levels of the organization, to include colleagues, users, contractor and vendors.
- Strong attention to detail coupled with excellent organization and follow up skills.